Sunday, April 22, 2012

Poodle nonsense

As you know, if you read my previous post, I recently adopted a poodle from the humane society.  Being a dog lover, the dogs i have been most drawn to were all breeds except the ones that have the misfortune of having a bad reputation ex: Rottweiler, doberman, pitbull and of course the poodle. That's right, the poodle with it's funny do and its yappiness was to me, a nuissence to all man kind. Being an allergy sufferer, the only types of dogs i limitted myself to adopting were the non-shedding breeds such as Bishons, Yorkies, shih tzu, maltese and the list goes on. Lots to chose from but expensive. So when i adopted a toy poodle from the humane society i thought i could "learn" to love her. She was a bundle of cuteness with her untuched shag. Maybe i could disguise her as a mutt.  When i got home, i started doing some research on the toy poodle breed since i new nothing about it.  Well, low and behold, there are growth charts, and weight charts putting lots of importance on size and color. It so happens, my appricot poodle is a saught after color that is hard to find because it skips generations. Who cares right. She is a sweethart, she loves my girls, she is docile and miraculously rarely makes a sound. I should be greatful to have what seems to be a gift from destiny, wich i am but this other side of me is wrapped up in poodle non-sense.  I started weighing her and measuring her. The humane society could only give an estimated date of birth of December 28. ESTIMATED date of birth. Not good enough. I need precise. These charts are intimidating. What if my dog is not what they said it was, a "toy".  She is on the higher end of the charts. Could i still be as proud or will i always give an explanation when people ask what type of dog she is. Maybe i will just lie and say she is a toy even if she outgrows the charts.  What ridiculousness. I love her, the way her ears flop around, how she runs in circles trying to grab her stub of a tail, her smell, how she likes to burrow before she settles into a ball to nap with me. Toy or not, i love her to bits. That's right. I love my Poodle.

M.

Cannelle 16 weeks, 9inches ( but not counting)

No comments:

Post a Comment