Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I won a dog ?

There are 2 catagories of people.
Catagory A) Loves most animals and are very sensitive to their well being.
Catagory B) Dosen't wish them any harm but God forbid one dwells in their home with their nasty smell, bad habits and disgusting hair loss.
My sweeties

I have always loved most animals to the exception of bats, reptiles, insectes and grouchy mammals.  As a child, i grew up with a medium sized mutt named Coquette. She was very cute and loyal.  I have missed her ever since. Half my family (dad, brother and myself) loved her to bits and the other half (two gorgeous teenage sisters and mom) probably saw her as part of the furniture, annoyed if she was in the way. I always pictured my adult household with a dog.  As an adult, things changed, I realized the commitment it involves and decided to wait for the perfect timing. See, i was suppose to be pregnant by the age of  24 on my pre planned lifeline and have a family of 4 kids minimum.  After begging my partner day in and day out for years to get pregnant, he who kept stalling due to studies, finally shut me up.  Hense, I am a mother of a charming 2 and 4 year old at the age of 32.  They are my pride and joy yet I am exhausted by their constant demands therefore i am in a counter intuitive situation where I have this desire to have another baby, not a child, a baby. I loved the first year of my girls life. The rest is more then i want to handle.  But obviously, i can`t have a baby and chuck it after its first birthday. So i had to really think things through. Why had i always planned on more kids. Is it necessary for true happines? Well, I'm not about to find out. Then the light bulb went on. DOGS!! Dogs are like babies. They never really grow up. Has the time come for a dog? Yikes. Don't jump the gun Monique i told myself. My husband, tried to reason with me that a cat may be more suitable for our lifestyle. Hummm.What to do? After lots of research i fell upon a foster program for the Humane society. BINGO! Free trials. How perfectomondo. Next thing you know i have a cat with a cast. Total sweetheart. He made me think of this scene in the movie "the Piano" when Holly Hunter played the instrument with her wooden finger. Every so often i would hear Toc. Then came a rabbit, another cat with pins in its legs and a pug with a broken leg from being hit by a car. I loved them all. I soon ruled out the cats due to allergies. Then, while a follow up for one of my injured pets at the Winnipeg Humane Society, i heard about a "lot draw" for the 79 dogs that were seized from a garage north of the city. I was on a role with my petting zoo at home so I thought why not add to the excitement and see if i could win. The pile of entries was so thick that i walked away thinking not much about it.  Then, low and behold, a week goes by and i get a phone call announcing that i was the lucky winner of a dog. OH SHIT!! Is this good, is this bad? Well, i had to see the dog. They couldn't devulge any information over the phone therefore i had to go see my prize. I hadn't won anything in ten years. My husband came for the ride reluctantly with the only motivation that we would go to Costco afterwards.  Well, the prize was a 10 week old apricot toy poodle. She was soo cute we took her home that night.  Talk about a grand prize. She is now 16 weeks, she has fequent accidents but she is perfect. I love her to pieces and she is a great addition to our family. The one that will never really grow up and that will never shy away from being cuddled and love being talked to like she is a morron for the rest of her days.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously hilarious! I love the randomness of you actually winning a dog! How does that happen?? I also totally agree on the last part, talking to them like they're morons is inevitable but somehow I still do it to all my pets - like they won't understand me if I use my regular voice... Love your little stories as your language is plain and hides nothing. I dig it! Keep writing and keep making me laugh. ;)

    ReplyDelete