Saturday, May 12, 2012

Budget smudget

What to compare a budget to. Hmmmm....that's me pondering for a minute or two. "Fun mountain" on a hot summer day.  I haven't been to this outdoors water park in 20 years, but this is how I remember it.  Very exciting at first. Running up the hill full tilt, waiting in line fidgeting with anticipation of the speed and delight and then finally sliding down with a permanent grin. Well, this would equal to my first job. Excited at first, putting my all into it, then waiting for my first paycheck with the anticipation of spending it, to buying the CD of my choice with a great big smile. Well, the initial fun lasts a few rides, then you start losing anticipation. By mid-after noon, your feet are blistering on the hot dark rugged pavement. The lines are getting long and boring. You lean on the fence catching your breath. While the sliding part remains fun, which is what I compare to spending, the climbing part becomes more and more tedious and painful. This obviously is being compared to getting out of debt. To make matters worse, getting up the hill (saving) takes longer and longer but spending is very quickly done.
All this mumbo jumbo is to say i have blisters on my feet. My husband and I have been riding this wave for many years and now the so called "hill" feels like Mount Logan. The blisters aren't healing as quick as they used to since I've became a mother of two and therefore work half time. So, to better the situation, we are now spending less, a lot less. It's not easy. Summer is here, we are in our new "old house".  We would love to landscape our yard, paint the house, build a front patio, a backyard deck and a fence. We love camping and would like to purchase a nice camper trailer and a truck to pull it. All this will have to wait since we blew the home budget on extensive and modern renovations. People who know us are certainly not shedding a pitty tear since we have a beautiful home in great neighbourhood. We have a very comfortable life.  We just don't want to spend money we don't have.  It is hard to get comfortable by making due with what we have even if it's great. But when we take a step back, we realize how good we have it. We are a healthy and loving family. We have lots of fun, we make delicious meals and enjoy life.  I had my heart set on taking a trip with friends to Wisconsin Dells. After deciding it will have to wait 'till next year, i had to change my mind frame. I stopped pouting and tried to find something that can replace this supposed trip. Then, i came face to face with the perfect advertisement. "FUN MOUNTAIN". Why not. My kids have never been and don`t know any different. That will be my Wisconsin this summer and I am oober excited about it. The best part is that it won`t get me further into debt. Long live the simplicities of restricted funds and airing out that tent. Back to basics. I love it.
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment